Updated June 30, 2020
On January 30, 2020, the Federal Communications Commission adopted the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund Report and Order, which establishes the framework for the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund (RDOF), a $20.4 billion fund to bring high speed fixed broadband service to rural homes and small businesses.
On June 10, the FCC released a public notice on final application procedures for Phase I of the RDOF auction. The Office of Economics and Analytics, the Rural Broadband Auctions Task Force, and the Wireline Competition Bureau issued a public notice on June 11, 2020, making available a guide that provides technical and mathematical details regarding the bidding procedures for Phase I.
What you need to know:
- $20.4 billion will be awarded using reverse auctions in two phases.
- The Phase I auction (Auction 904), totaling $16 billion
- Colorado has approximately 78,000 eligible locations totaling $620 million in eligible funding.
- All entities interested in participating in Auction 904 must submit a short-form application by July 15, 2020.
- June 15, 2020: Auction Application Tutorial Available
- July 1-15, 2020: Short-Form Application (FCC Form 183) Filing Window
- October 26, 2020: Mock Auction Begins
- October 29, 2020: Auction Begins
FCC’s Auction 904 RDOF web page: https://www.fcc.gov/auction/904
View all Public Notices, Letters, Orders, and News Releases related to RDOF: https://www.fcc.gov/auction/904/releases
Final Auction Procedures PUBLIC NOTICE (FCC 20-77)
On June 25, 2020, the FCC released an updated list and map of eligible areas for the RDOF Phase I Auction. The CBO has not yet processed this data.
Initial Eligible Areas – Colorado (data processed by the CBO):
To provide an overview of preliminary eligible areas in Colorado, the CBO has processed the initial eligible areas and created the following:
Eligible Areas (data from FCC):
- Census Block data: www.census.gov/geographies/mapping-files/time-series/geo/tiger-line-file.2019.html
- Address Dataset for Colorado: data.colorado.gov/State/Statewide-Aggregate-Addresses-in-Colorado-2019-Pub/n7je-akky
- Colorado Broadband Dataset: data.colorado.gov/Telecommunications/Colorado-Broadband-Coverage/d8uf-vegq